Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blog Assignment #2

1. Were the questions on the Moral Sense Test difficult to answer (psychologically, emotionally, conceptually, technically, etc.)? Why or why not? Do you think your responses to the Moral Sense Test questions were consistent? Does this matter?

I felt the questions on the test were easy to answer. I am very opinionated person, who has a very strong belief system, the questions asked were very basic and thus were easy to answer. I feel my answers were very consistent, and yes I thought all of the questions asked were basically the same in concept, so consistency was very important, or else your answers weould not really have made sense, plus it could mess up the experiment results.

2. Should people always follow the law? Why or why not? When might one be justified in NOT following the law? Give examples.

I think there are times when breaking the law is definetly acceptable, because sometimes people are put in extraordinary situations that require extra ordinary actions. Such as if I were in a friends house and another person shot and killed my friend and then put his gun away, I would without hesitation fire a shot at that person and kill him. According to florida law this would not be okay, as I was in no immediate threat. I would still do it though.

3. In your own words, explain what "social convention" means. Give examples.

I believe it is basically a general consensus regarding what is socially acceptable. It is like a standard of behaviour. Like if you were in a restaurant and stood up and flashed everyone, this is not socially acceptable, because first off you are disrupting everyones meal, and second off it is just plain gross. However if you were in that same restaurant and stood up to propose to your significant other, while you are still disrupting everyones meal, this would generally be considered acceptable.

4. Should people always follow the conventions of their society? Why or why not? Give examples.

As I said with following a governments laws, there is always a time to go against it, just as I think there is always a time to go against a social convention. Like if it was socially acceptable to jump off a bridge, and everyone you know seemed to be doing it, should you do it? No, that would be dumb, in times likes this, you should go against the grain and toot your own horn, so to speak.

5. Should people always follow their own principles? Why or why not? Give examples.

I believe that yes, there is a time to go against your own principles, because in some cases you may not have a legitimate reason to believe what you believe. You could just be following along with what everyone else is doing or you could believe it just to be different. If you were a hardcore rascist, and you saw a car accident involving the race you didnt like, and you have the chance to save them before the car goes up in flames do you save them? I believe yes, you should, because while you may not like those same people they are still human beings and deserve the chance to live just as you do. So you should go against your own principles and save them regardless.

6. Explain in your own words the difference between socially acceptable, legally acceptable, and morally acceptable.

Socially acceptable has more to do with what a group of people consider to be right and wrong, regardless of what the laws are. Legally acceptable is very similar to socially acceptable, because a group of people decide what is right or wrong, but they are deciding that based on what is best for the country, state or whatever they are making the law for. Morally acceptable is what you consider, in your mind, to be right and wrong. Regardless of the laws or what other people think.

7. Out of 25 points, how many points do you feel your work on this assignment deserves? Justify your answer.

I believe I deserve 20 - 25 points on this blog assignment. I felt like I responded to the questions accurately and gave good examples when asked too. I felt my answers were on topic with what the questions asked, and my examples made sense and had a direct correlation to the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment