Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Blog Assignment #9

Assignment Part 1

In this section, we're going to return for a moment to Chapter 7, to the section that discusses errors that are common in the analysis of moral issues (p. 89). Breifly explain each of the following errors in your own words, as if you were explaining the concept to a friend who had never taken this class (consider who, what, when, where, why, how, when); and then give an example of each one, preferably from your own past experience.

Unwarranted Assumptions: The problem with unwarranted assumptions comes when a person unconsciously take things for granted. Unwarranted assumptions ussually occur when a person doesnt read something carefully enough, and dont realize what is actually said, like they think it says one thing when it actually says something else. For example, I make unwarranted assumptions in math class far to often. I read a word problem, and think it says one thing when, if I had read more carefully, it actually said something completely different.

Oversimplification: The problem with over-simplifying something occurs when people try and simplify something so much it actually changes what they were trying to simplify in the first place. For example, again in math class, simplifying an algebraic equation, or even when croos multiplying, its easy enough to do, it just whne you try and make it too easy and do to much you change the problem, you get the wrong answer.

Hasty Conclusions: The problem with hasty conclusions occurs when people fail to fully consider every aspect of a problem and jump to a conclusion. Again in math this happens to me quite often, as I rush through problems because I think I already have a good enough idea of whats going on, and I usually leave out a step or two, and come up the wrong answer because of this. As you can tell im not very good at math.

Assignment Part 2

1. What do we do in situations where there is more than a single obligation? The most important thing a person must do when facing a situation involving multiple obligations is to choose as best as possible in what order/which ones, you should handle.

2. How can we reconcile conflicting obligations? You have to do what is most sensible for you. You cant be in two places at once, at most people cannot handle multiple responsibilties at once. So an easy way to resolve it, is do what is best for you.

Assignment Part 3

1. In a nutshell, what is the most important thing, for you, that you learned from this assignment? I learned I rush my decision making process far to often. I learned by slowing down and considering every aspect I would be in much better shape.

2. How will you apply what you learned through this assignment to your everyday life? Again, by slowing down my decision making process in my everyday life. By doing so I feel I would be a much better student, and a much calmer person.

3. What grade do you believe your efforts regarding this assignment deserve? Justify your answer. I believe I deserve the maximum amount of points. Because I actually read the chapter, and I feel like my answers to the questions reflect my understanding of what I read.

1 comment:

  1. B-

    Great examples in section one, in that anyone who's ever taken a math class can definitely relate! Would you say the error in judgment in each cases was an error of MORAL judgment, though? If yes, can you put them in equation form, so I can understand the line of moral reasoning?

    Also (remember, you guys said you wanted me to offer guidance and clarification, so here goes), in part two, can you explan where in the text you got your information? I want to make sure you all are referring to the text, by noting page numbers and naming particular concepts from the text in your answers. The chapter described two main options available to us when presented with a conflict in obligations. What are those options?

    :)

    ReplyDelete